Sponsors

Friday, March 23, 2012

How will October Baby approach the topic of abortion?


October Baby hits the theaters today: in spite of low ratings on IMDB, the trailer is excellent and I think this is going to be one of the best movies of 2012. October Baby is about a young woman who finds out she has been adopted after a failed abortion. She then attempts to retrace her past. Will she find her biological mother? Does it matter, as long as we get the message that every life is precious?
I am still waiting to see what kind of message October Baby is going to deliver. I am excited about the movie because the scenes shown in the trailer were obviously directed by a talented person: the colors, the camera moves and shots,...everything is carefully planned. Even the acting seems excellent.
But I won't let a movie impose a conservative view on abortion by using the basic and almost cliché techniques of showing me what a wonderful person this baby almost did not grow up to be. I want a non-judgmental movie that will let me make up my own mind.
What a appreciate is the fact that this young woman has been adopted. This is a smart way to present an alternative to adoption and to avoid any unrealistic plot about a reluctant and scared mom finally revealing her secret to her daughter after a long struggle to become the perfect mom.
I have mixed views about abortion: I am torn between the fact that some people simply aren't mom material or that a rape resulting in a pregnancy would be a horrible experience to go through – but I also believe that human life should be more valued than anything else. Giving a chance to a baby and putting him or her up for adoption seems to be a better solution, but the screening process of the families is not perfect.
I am looking forward to this movie and curious about the kind of message it will have. Again, I would love to see a non-judgmental movie who empowers young women about making choices – but I think dealing with the theme of abortion is bold and everyone involved with this movie definitely deserves respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment